Oakleigh Park School of Swimming was founded in North London in1975, offering lessons to all ages and abilities including teaching and lifesaving qualifications. 40 years later the school had become so popular that it had run out of venues to fulfil the need for swimming lessons in the area, a lease agreement was agreed with a local primary school in Woodside Park to build a swimming pool on disused land at the back of the school. The school would be able to use the pool for their own swimming lessons during school hours.
Pinelog were approached to use their expertise to design a specific layout to fit the available area. Architects designed a scheme on behalf of the client and Pinelog were chosen as the main contractor following a competitive tender process.
To achieve 'Very Good' BREEAM certification the building has been designed and constructed to provide a well-insulated, sealed, ventilation controlled environment to allow regular monitoring and adjustment to maintain sustainable energy models.
Levels of insulation in excess of Building Regulations minimise energy costs and maintain a comfortable climate within the building.
- The variable depth pool is 20.0m x 8.0m, the minimum for competition requirements (SPATA recognised) and large enough to meet Department of Education standards
- Additional training and public amenities enable the building to function as an independent facility open for public use
- The building has been designed and constructed to meet a BREEAM rating of 'Very Good'
- Highly insulated timber frame with glulam laminated trusses
- Directly fixed insulated composite roof panels supported on glulam trusses
- External walls are clad in block and render.
- Solar roof panels
- Low energy lighting
- Heat recovery
- Ultra-violet water treatment