The children at Ashgate Croft School now enjoy all the emotional and physical benefits of hydrotherapy and have the chance to learn to swim following the opening of a hydrotherapy pool in the school grounds
Ashgate Croft School, Chesterfield is the largest school for children with special needs in Derbyshire. It offers a full range of opportunities for over 140 children aged between 3 and 19. The school once had its own swimming pool but this fell into disrepair and had to be demolished. Realising that the only way pupils could derive the benefits of hydrotherapy on a regular basis was by having a new pool on school ground a major appeal called “A Pool For Megan” was launched and sufficient funds were raised to allow the project to proceed. Pinelog won the contract to build the new hydrotherapy pool – its long experience in this market giving it the edge.
- Constructed in timber frame with glulam beams and trusses
- Vaulted style roof with high level glazing over pool hall
- External brick facing and Siberian larch cladding for low maintenance
- Insulated 12m x 6m hydrotherapy pool with electric hoist
- Sensory lighting, sound system and fun floats
- First floor overlooking pool for meeting/conference room
- Pool operates at 33o C – air temperature of 34o C
- Ultra-violet water treatment
What the client said
"A swimming pool at this school is as important as a classroom. Swimming gives an enormous boost in self-confidence and is sometimes the only chance pupils have to get out of a wheelchair and undertake physical activity. This wonderful pool means that all our children have the chance to learn to swim and have hydrotherapy classes to meet their needs. Pinelog has done more than build us a pool – they’ve helped us build brighter futures for the children."